Updated Current Affairs : 15th March – 31st March
- The Haryana Government has passed the Criminal Law (Haryana Amendment) Bill, 2018, by enhancing the punishment for sexual offenses against women and children.
2.Dr. Abhay Bang and Dr. Rani Bang the Social activists and researchers from Maharashtra were awarded the first-ever Business Line Changemakers Awards, in New Delhi
- The Supreme Court has held that Public demonstrations resorting to violence, including stone-throwing are not protected by the fundamental right to free speech and expression,
- India has joined Europe’s mega global arrangement of sharing data from earth observation satellites, called Copernicus.
- Serious concern was expressed by the Supreme Court over the misuse of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 and also the introduction of the provision of anticipatory bail and rules against the automatic arrest of anyone was booked under the law.
- Thaawarchand Gehlot, the Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment has launched the country’s first sign language dictionary.
- The launch of the Ayushman Bharat — National Health Protection mission has been approved by the Union Cabinet.
- In Rajasthan, the Brahmos supersonic cruise missile was successfully test-fired with an indigenous seeker for the first time.
- The G.K. Reddy Memorial National Award for journalism was presented by the Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, to senior journalist and television presenter, Karan Thapar in New Delhi.
- The Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2017 has been passed by the Parliament paving the way for doubling the limit of tax-free gratuity to Rs20 lakh.
- The Supreme Court has taken a decision to look into the constitutional validity of the prevalent practices of polygamy ‘nikah halal’, ‘nikah mutah’, and ‘nikah misyar’ in the Muslim community.
12.By upholding the choice of consenting adults to love and marry as part of their fundamental rights the Supreme Court asserted that “Honour killing guillotines individual liberty, freedom of choice and one’s own perception of choice.”
- With the shares rising more than 27% on the very first day of trading Kolkata-based Bandhan Bank makes a strong debut.
- The SEBI tightens and strengthens its guidelines regarding the corporate governance norms for firms by accepting most of the recommendations of the Kotak Committee.
15.GSAT-6A, a communication satellite was placed in orbit by ISRo after launch on board a GSLVF-08 rocket from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
- The Supreme Court has observed that any stay of a criminal or corruption trial, or even a civil case, will be valid only for six months.
- The sanctions on 19 Russian individuals and five groups were slapped by the U.S for meddling in the 2016 presidential polls and malicious cyber attacks.
- The Indian export subsidies schemes have been Challenged by the U.S at the World Trade Organisation.
3.The account of Cambridge Analytica, the data firm that helped U.S. President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign was suspended by Facebook for failing to delete user data.
- Xi Jinping has been unanimously elected as President for a second consecutive term by China’s Parliament
- Vladimir Putin wins a fourth term as Russian President.
- The Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman has announced in an interview with CBS television that Women in Saudi Arabia need not wear headcover or the black abaya, as long as their attire is “decent and respectful”.
- An imposition of 25% tariffs was directed by U.S. President Donald Trump on Chinese products worth $ 60 billion and restrictions on Chinese investments in America.
- The global stock markets slide down because of the threat of a trade war
- After holding talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing, the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un pledges to denuclearise the peninsula.
10.Martin Vizcarratakes charge as Peru’s new President.
By making her debut appearance on Kohenoor TV, Marvia Malik becomes Pakistan’s first transgender news anchor.
Win Myint has been chosen by Myanmar’s Parliament as its new President.
Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has been re-elected as the President of Egypt for a second term following three-day polling.
The discovery of the first and only known galaxy without dark matter — DF2 was announced by the scientists.