Diary of Events- 16thJanuary to 31stJanuary – National and International
- The withdrawal of Haj subsidy was announced by the Central Government
- A public cloud policy, which intends to make available government data to the public, was unveiled by the Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, at the Maharashtra Technology Summit in Mumbai.
- The most advanced version of the indigenously-built long-range surface to-surface ballistic missile Agni-V, was successfully test-fired from the Dr. Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha.
- The work on the country’s first-ever “liveability index” to rank 116 cities has been started by the centre Government.
- Reliance Industries becomes the first Indian company to cross the 6-lakh crore marks in market capitalization.
- HDFC Bank becomes the first bank to cross market capitalization of 5 lakh crore.
- India’s first-ever BS VI-compliant vehicles – S Class 350d and Mercedes-Maybach S560 has been unveiled by Mercedes-Benz India at a function in Mumbai.
- The official anthem of Bharat Ke Veer, an initiative to help the kin of paramilitary personnel killed in the line of duty, is launched at a function in New Delhi by Union Home Minister, Rajnath Singh.
- Om Prakash Rawat is appointed as the next Chief Election Commissioner by the Union Law Ministry. Former Finance Secretary, Ashok Lavasa, has been named Election Commissioner.
- The first flight trials of the new version of the Indigenous civilian plane, Saras PT1N (Prototype 1 New) is held successfully at the HAL Airport, Bengaluru.
- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi said Security and freedom of navigation will be at the heart of India-ASEAN cooperation in the 21st century, at the ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit in New Delhi.
- Music composer Ilaiyaraaja, Indian classical musician Ghulam Mustafa Khan, U.S. academic Ved Prakash Nanda and P. Parameswaran, a senior RSS ideologue from Kerala are chosen for Padma Bhushan award.
- Tennis player Somdev Devvarman, badminton player Kidambi Srikanth, weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu, Gond artist Bhajju Shyam nonagenarian yoga teacher, V. Nanammal from Coimbatore, ‘Plastic Man of India’, R. Vasudevan,, Romulus whitaker, founder of the Madras Sake Park, Vijayalakshmi Navaneethakrishnan, an acclaimed Tamil folk artist prominent among 73 Padma Shri recipients.
- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi welcomes the leaders of 10 ASEAN countries as chief guests, at the parade marking 25 years of the ASEAN-India Dialogue Partnership, as India celebrates its 69th Republic Day in New Delhi.
- Veteran Bengali actor, Soumitra Chatterjee, is presented withFrance’s highest civilian award Chevalier de la Legion d’’honneur or the Knight of the Legion of Honour, France’s highest civilian award, at a function in Kolkata
- The impeachment of Justice Shri Narayan Shukla, the eighth senior-most judge of the Allahabad High Court was recommended by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra, following an adverse report about him by an in-house panel set up by the CJI.
- The Farmcart and Dealer Bandhu apps, conveived by a Mumbai-based start-up Poorti Agri Services, for farmers was unveiled by SBI chairman, Rajnish Kumar, at a function in Kolkata.
- INS Karanj, the Navy’s third state-of-the-art Scorpene class submarine, is launched at a function in Mumbai.
- North Korea and South Korea decided to compete as a united team in the Olympics for the first time.
- Tracey Crouch was appointed as the Minister for Sport and Civil Society by The British Government.
- India joinsthe Australia Groupwhich aims to prevent proliferation of biological and chemical weapons, as the 43rd participant.
- Sri Lankan Parliament passes a set of amendments to the Foreign Fishing Boats Regulation Act of 1979 to levy stiffer fines for poaching in its territorial waters.
- Donald Trump declares the U.S. “open for business” and said thatthe U.S. will “no longer turn a blind eye” to unfair trade policies, at the World Economic Forum summit in Davos, Switzerland.
- Juan Orlando Hernandez sworn in as Honduran Presidentfor a second term.
- Pro-Russian incumbent Milos Zeman is elected to a second term as Czech President after winning a runoff vote.
- American singer-songwriter, Peter Gene Hernandez, known professionally as Bruno Mars, won the 60th Annual Grammy Awards held at Madison Square Garden in New York City, winning six of them, including the ‘Album of the Year’ and the ‘Record of the Year’ for 24K Magic.
- Kendrick Lamar bags five awards, including the ‘Best Rap Album’ for Damn.
- Raila Odinga,Kenyan Opposition leader takes oath as President of the People’s Assembly, at a park in Nairobi.