Know All About Republic Day Parade 2019
In order to honour the Constitution of India every year, as it came into force on the same day in the year 1950 on the 26th of January, we celebrate India’s Republic Day. This Year also we celebrated this day with great zeal and enthusiasm, showcasing the country’s rich cultural heritage and traditions, as this very year was the 70th Republic Day for our nation.
‘Spotlights’ of 70th Republic Day Celebrations
• Theme of 70 the Republic Day Parade: To commemorate the 150th birth anniversary and to pay a tribute to the father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi the theme for republic day parade was kept ‘life of Gandhi’.
• Chief Guest for the Republic Day was Cyril Ramaphosa, the President of the Republic of South Africa. This was the second time that India had a South African leader as its Chief Guest at Republic Day. The first South African leader was Nelson Mandela who was the chief guest for Republic Day in 1995.
• The highest number of women officers will be participating in the celebrations of The 70th Republic Day parade with Lt. Bhavana Kasturi leading a contingent of 144 male personnel. it will be witnessed for the first time ever in the Indian Army history that a woman will lead the Army services corps.
• Women power was on full display this year as an all-women Assam Rifles contingent India’s oldest paramilitary force created history by participating for the first time in the parade, which was led by Major Khushboo Kanwar.
• Navy Contingents, Army Service Corps and a unit of Corps of Signals (transportable satellite terminal) were also led by women officers marking it a moment of proud for the nation.
• India’s military might was displayed, by showcasing the weapons – M777 and K-9 Vajra ultra-light howitzers along with the Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MRSAM) missile of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the first time in a Republic day parade.
• In the Republic Day parade, a ‘vic’ formation of An-32 aircraft, whose lead plane flew on a mix of traditional and bio-fuel was displayed for the first time.
• It was for the first time that four former Indian National Army (INA) soldiers aged above 90 years participated in the parade under the theme ‘Veterans: Accelerators in Nation’s Growth’.
• ‘ Sankhnaad’, a martial tune created for the Indian armed forces based on a poem by Mahar Regiment veteran, will be played for the first time on the 70th Republic Day parade. Since Independence, the Indian defence forces have been playing ‘martial tune’ created by the Britishers but to note here `Sankhnaad’ is based on Indian classical music.
• A display showcasing The transformation of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi to Mahatma Gandhi in two faces, one when he was thrown off the first-class compartment because of his race and the other when he collected money for Harijan fund was presented by Indian Railway tableau.
• The CISF, celebrating 50 years of service to the nation, had elements of its diverse functioning and showcased the role of women in the force in its Tableaux in the Republic Day parade after a gap of 11 years.
• A display of state Tableaux themed around ‘life of Mahatma Gandhi’ was presented by Sikkim, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Goa, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, West Bengal and Tripura at India’s Republic Day 2019 event.