Solve the quiz given below to test your understanding of the topic
Paraphrasing is a technique which allows you to reword a sentence, passage or any story in your words, without changing the meaning of the original content. An individual should be well-versed with English grammar in order to paraphrase ideally. Synonyms can work like a magic wand when it comes to paraphrasing.
Let us understand the same with the help of some examples.
- Original: The student requested that the professor excuse her absence, but the professor refused.
Paraphrase: The professor denied the student’s request for an excused absence.
- Original: Her life spanned years of incredible change for women as they gained more rights than ever before.
Paraphrase: She lived through the exciting era of women’s liberation.
- Original: Giraffes like Acacia leaves and hay, and they can consume 75 pounds of food a day.
Paraphrase: A giraffe can eat up to 75 pounds of Acacia leaves and hay daily.
- Original: Any trip to Italy should include a visit to Tuscany to sample the region’s exquisite wines.
Paraphrase: Be sure to make time for a Tuscan wine-tasting experience when visiting Italy.
- Original: Symptoms of influenza include fever and nasal congestion.
Paraphrase: A stuffy nose and elevated temperature are signs you may have the flu.
- Original: The price of a resort vacation typically includes meals, tips and equipment rentals, which makes your trip more cost-effective.
Paraphrase: All-inclusive resort vacations can make for an economical trip.
- Original: He has tons of stuff to throw away.
Paraphrase: He needs to get rid of a lot of junk.
- Original: There is a musical concert next to the Vienna coffee shop. Would you like to go?
Paraphrase: Are you coming to a music concert in Vienna?
- Original:The car that was pulled over by the police officer yesterday just had an accident. The driver is not careful.
Paraphrase: The driver who was pulled over yesterday is not careful because he just had an accident.
- Original:International centre is hosting English conversation classes. They help non-native speakers of English practice their English-Speaking skills.
Paraphrase: English non-native speakers can improve their English by taking classes at the international centre.
Paraphrasing a longer passage can take a little more the effort, as you have to ensure it is different enough from the original to be classed as your own work.
Here is an example of paraphrasing a paragraph from “Family Values and Feudal Codes: The Social Politics of America’s Twenty-First Century Gangster.” Journal of Popular Culture 37.4 (2004) by Ingrid Field Walker, taken from Duke University Libraries.
In the Sopranos, the mob is besieged as much by inner infidelity as it is by the federal government. Early in the series, the greatest threat to Tony’s Family is his own biological family. One of his closest associates turns witness for the FBI, his mother colludes with his uncle to contract a hit on Tony, and his kids click through Web sites that track the federal crackdown in Tony’s gangland.
In the first season of The Sopranos, Tony Soprano’s mobster activities are more threatened by members of his biological family than by agents of the federal government. This familial betrayal is multi-pronged. Tony’s closest friend and associate is an FBI informant, his mother and uncle are conspiring to have him killed, and his children are surfing the Web for information about his activities.
The main point of this passage is that problems within the family are as bad as, if not worse than, problems caused by the federal government. Details about this betrayal include someone close turning informant, a hit being put out on Tony by family members, and Tony’s kids tracking his activities. As you can see, the main idea and important details are included in the paraphrased version, though the wording is quite different.
It takes great understanding of words and sentences in order to inculcate the exact message as the original one, in your own words. One has to be very careful while rewording and check twice that the original message is unaffected.
Quiz: Which is the best paraphrase of the following sentences?
- Deserts cover one-fifth of the surface of the Earth.
- Deserts cover one-fifth of the Earth.
- One -fifth of the Earth’s surface is desert.
- Deserts cover more than half of the earth’s surface.
- A type of shark called a shortfin mako can leap 20 feet above the surface of the water.
- A shark can leap 20 feet out of the water, it is called a shortfin mako.
- A shortfin mako shark can jump above the surface of the water.
- The shortfin mako is a kind of a shark that can leap 20 feet above the water.
- A high school student usually has summer reading assignments.
- A high school student always has homework assignments in the summer.
- It is common for students in high school to have summer reading assignments.
- Usually school-aged students have summer reading assignments.
- Dragonflies have six legs, but they can’t walk.
- Dragonflies have six legs but cannot walk, and I think that is odd.
- Dragonflies have six legs.
- Although dragonflies have six legs, they can’t walk at all.
- Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan, has been an important market and trading place for hundreds of years.
- Tashkent and Uzbekistan are important places to trade hundreds of things in the market.
- For hundreds of years, Tashkent has been the capital of Uzbekistan and trading places now are important for the market.
- None of the above.
Check our Instagram : Ownguru
Facebook : Ownguru
If you have an interesting write-up or any suggestion, write to us at email@example.com