Causes & Impact of Heatwaves
We are witnessing the abnormal increase of atmospheric temperature due to deforestation and over-exploitation of the environment. The heat wave has great potential and it is more dangerous than many other natural phenomenons such as Hurricanes and lightening. Today, we will understand the causes and impact of the heat waves.
Variation of temperature and light is equally important because without heat and light the Earth would be a lifeless ball of ice-coated rocks. Notably, Earth is the only planet where life is possible because of a moderate amount of carbon dioxide. It is the driving factor for the survival of life forms.
Now, we are witnessing the abnormal increase of atmospheric temperature due to the overexploitation of the environment through deforestation.
Let us understand what is heat wave?
A heat wave is a hot weather Phenomenon which is accompanied by high temperature and high humidity. It can cause a prolonged period of abnormally hot weather. As per the World Meteorological Organization, the term heat wave refers to the situation when daily maximum the temperature of more than five consecutive days exceeds the average maximum temperature by 5 degree Celsius.
Causes of Heatwave
It is created when static high pressure generated in the upper atmosphere over a region for several up to several weeks. Notably, the static pressure creates a hot mass of air, which is stagnant for many days and week, which resulted in the trapping of more heat that also reduce the convection currents. Notably, the high pressure then acts as a barrier and forces the mass of air to sink to the surface of the land and prevents heat to rise. The hot mass of the air accumulates only heat and humidity without any trace of rain and it causes abnormal high temperature. This normally happens in the summer season.
What are the impacts of Heat Wave?
- It can cause heat stroke; it is very common and dangerous too. If the body temperature of a living being is lower than the external temperature, then it is very often to get heat stroke, and heat cramps
- Heat wave can also cause airborne disease. Under this condition static hot mass of air trapped the pollutant and harmful chemicals below the layer of the hot air which decreases air quality.
- Aircrafts performance decreases at high temperature
- The High temperature can damage the ground surface of the airport
- The excessive hotness in the atmosphere can reduce the human productivity.