Understanding Article 324 and its Significance
Article 324 has the provision for the Election Commission of India. Article 324 empowers Election Commission of India to issue rules and regulations for conducting elections of Parliament, President, Vice President and State Legislatures Assemblies in the country. Whenever elections are held in India, the Election Commission of India releases a code of conduct to conduct free and fair elections in the country. Today, we will understand the importance of Article 324 and how it empowers Election Commission?
17th Lok Sabha Elections are going on in India
Currently, In India 17th Lok Sabha Elections are going on. The results will be declared on May 23. The Election Commission had released a model code of conduct for the free and fair elections in India. Notably, it was observed that MCC is broken by the leaders of many political parties. There was violence in West Bengal that is why Election Commission banned the elections campaigning a day before the schedule in the state using the power given under article 324 of the constitution.
What is Article 324?
Article 324 provides power to the Election Commission of India for the superintendence, direction, and control of the preparation of electoral rolls. Apart from it, Article 324 also empowers ECI to issue rules and guidelines for conducting elections for Parliament, President, Vice President and State Legislature Assemblies in the country
After the violence that took place in Bengal, the Election Commission of India has banned the Election Campaigning in the state. It is important to note that this has happened for the first in the history of India. The Election Commission of India used the power of Article 324 in Bengal so that the violence does not escalate in the state.
What are the powers that Article 324 gives to Election Commission?
- As per the power given to EC under this article, it can remove any officer from his post for holding impartial elections
- EC prepares the electoral rolls and revises them time to time. It adds all the eligible voters to the list
- It determines the territorial area of the electoral constituencies
- EC prepares and notifies the schedule of the Elections
- It registers the Political party and gives them Poll symbol.
- It ensures that the Model Code of Conduct is followed properly
- EC allows the time to national parties to convey their policies and programs through TV and radio.