A short vocabulary session for the upcoming competitive exams.
Vocabulary acts as a stepping stone in all the major competitive examinations. You just cannot escape or miss out on vocabulary if you are preparing for competitive exams. Good vocabulary plays a key role in addressing all types of questions in the verbal ability section of the competitive examinations. Let us have a look at some of the words with their meanings.
Read more: Learn Paraphrasing tricks through Examples
1. Eloquence- fluent or persuasive way of writing or speaking.
2. Sludge- thick, soft, wet mud or mixture of liquid and solid components
3. Pristine- clean and fresh
4. Loath -reluctant/ unwilling.
5. Disarray- a state of disorganization or untidiness.
6. Bias- inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group.
7. Acquisition – an asset or object bought or obtained.
8. Rendered- provide or give a service, help, etc.
9. Euphoric- characterised by or feeling intense excitement and happiness.
10. Adulteration- the action of making something poorer in quality by the addition of another substance.
11. Permissible- permitted/allowed.
12. Insurgents- a person fighting against a government or invading force/a rebel or revolutionary.
13. Affirmed- state emphatically or publicly.
14. Tackling- make determined efforts to deal with a problem or difficult task.
15. Surpassed- exceed/ be greater than.
16. Ignominy -public shame or disgrace.
17. Lustre -a gentle sheen or soft glow.
18. Tarnished – lose or cause to lose lustre, especially as a result of exposure to air or moisture.
19. Robust – strong and healthy/ vigorous.
20. Abatement -the action of abating or being abated, ending or subsiding.
21. Dispirited-having lost enthusiasm and hope/ disheartened.
22. Heft -lift or carry
23. Grim-very serious or gloomy.
24. Marred- impair the quality or appearance/ spoil.
25. Repression- the action of subduing someone or something by force.
26. Scrutiny -critical observation or examination.
27. Loophole – an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.
28. Lethargy – a lack of energy and enthusiasm.
29. Loomed- appear as a vague form, especially one that is large or threatening.
30. Notoriety- the state of being famous or well known for some bad quality or deed.
Check our Instagram : Ownguru
Facebook : Ownguru
If you have an interesting write-up or any suggestion, write to us at email@example.com